Monday, December 12, 2005

Bukkyo, WOR(L)D

reallynotimportant said...

Or more succintly "Just Be".When you can just Be then doing the right thing follows 'naturally'.To ride a bike well on a poor road or to ride a bike fast requires that you be in the present moment and in harmony with the bike. It is not so much that you feel how the tyres are gripping the road it is more a case that you are the tyres gripping the road. Words don't help :-)
7:00 AM
Mike Cross said...
The sixth sense in Buddhism is the compound sense of "proprioception," centred on the vestibular system. Even though my sensory appreciation of the proprioceptive phenomenon of sitting, is faulty, 2 + 2 = 4. Even though my sensory appreciation of the proprioceptive phenomenon of sitting, is faulty, the intention just to sit is the intention just to sit.In order to teach to others the true meaning of "non-doing," or "just sitting," it is necessary to have understanding like this.
5:10 PM
Pierre Turlur said...
Reallynotimportant,I would like to make a distinction here. You write that words don't help. You invite us to just be. Even better, you invite us to be the tyres gripping the road. It does sound as if you reject intellectual expression, words, and prefer the pure realm of being. I was a scholar for many years, busy teaching in Uni and climbing the ladder of knowledge. This was pure arrogance. I ended up burning my library, trashing my books and giving up the idea of getting somewhere being drunk with words of power. If you talk about these words, I agree. I should say that it is not about words but where they come from. Words in good poetry, words of the beloved ones, the lover and the friend, words of Dogen, Hongzhi, Nishijima, Cross, are all precious to me. They help me, carry me, direct me, inspire me. Words also bloom in presence. My favorite poems, Sufi or short in their form, are flowers of emptiness. Words may come from the open world of allowing, reminding us where we belong and that we always belong, words will take us to silence, and from silence words may arise. These words are true. As I sit, sometimes the intention is expressed in words, sometimes in images, sometimes the pure singing of birds is my call. The chapter Bukkyo in Shobogenzo is very clear about this. Thw word and world are one, not two.Just being is a nice direction. In order to allow ourselves to just be, they are many obstacles to just see. Noticing tensions, delusions, intention to grasp is my practice. Fooling myself thinking, be cool, it is OK, is misleading. What means being in harmony? If you know, teach me, because I don't know. I am too happy to laugh at my own mess ( and cry sometimes too).I humbly think that what we guys do ( Mike and a few others) is to be increasingly aware of our shortcomings so we don't practice them over and over again.Just be sounds nice. What is the meaning of "just"? What is extra? What has to be dropped and taken away? What has to be inhibited? GasshoTetsuten PS: Tonight, I will be playing my flute in London in St James Church for the poems of Rumi and Hafiz. Praise to the beloved and his words!...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home