Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Bashô's bell


You might have noticed that I have been posting a few French poems for a while. the thing is that I am writing a book of poems inspired by Haru san, Spring itself.

I thought I would never come back to this very early love of mine, but I can't help it. Words just flow.

Yesterday I wrote a very clumsy answer to the amazing poem of Matsuo Bashô that goes like this: Kane kiete hana no ka wa tsuku yûbe kana 鐘消えて 花の香は撞く 夕哉, and that could be translated as follows:


The temple bell stops
the sound keeps coming out
of the flowers.

Well, my stuff is wordy, much more lyrical and passionate (can't help it too, too French to be distant and cold). In French, it sounds like this:


Les fleurs
Touchent même
La voix ronde
De la cloche


Dans l’ouvert
La perle

Mes lèvres
A la bouche de la lune

Je te bois
Now, I'll try to put it into good English:
Even Flowers
Do touch
the round voice
of the bell
In openess
The pearl
My lips
to the mouth of the moon
I drink thee

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home