Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Takuhatsu dustbins

Today is a beautiful day. Tomorrow is my birthday. Anyway, everyday is my birthday, everyday "I am born". The beginning of the day was blessed by another monk, Shingon I sense, that I met at the reception desk of my hotel just before starting my begging round. We bowed at each other and he kindly helped me to put my nine stripes brown kesa on, making sure the lines were vertical. Then he blessed me with a verse and off I went.

Great fun and sadness again in JR station, the guards don't let me be there more than a few minutes, a very sticky one followed right beyond the bus station to make sure that the undesirable gaijin-beggar-monk was not in the way. Part of me finds it quite entertaining, part of me feels very sad for these people that lost tolerance. As long as I wear the boundless Okesa and sing the name of the Dharma, I am but a piece of nothing. The bloke minds sometimes. The kesa doesn't mind, it is all part of this practice anyway. So I ended up doing a couple hours on the other side of the pavement, standing just next to two beautiful dustbin, nice looking trash cans. Side by side, the dustbin and I, we practiced takuhatsu. Everytime people trashed something, I bowed, realizing that the dustbin could not.

It's a beautiful day. this afternoon, I will be with Yoshiko San who is going to help be to print a few poems.

The wind blows on a sunny Kyoto. Blossoms scattered everywhere. Bold Buddhas blossoms.

6 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

Pierre, Thank you for your pictures of Heaven and Hell. I have been there many times. Happy Birthday for yesterday, today and especially tomorrow.
Peter

12:32 AM  
Blogger Taigu said...

Thank you for your wishes, Peter. Deep bows from Heaven and Hell.
I often think of you walking in the streets of Kyoto.

be well.

Love

2:43 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Hi Pierre,

Happy birthday! I've written it elsewhere, but I'll write it again: I'm engrossed by your experiences in Japan. Your blog entries elicit a strong desire in me to return there, which I might do yet.
Anyway, as they say on the 88-Temple Pilgrimage, "We two, together."

7:32 AM  
Blogger Nicole Raisin Stern said...

Dear Pierre,
HapPy Continuation Day!

Nicole

3:45 PM  
Blogger oxeye said...

Pierre, Happy Birthday! I hope we have many more as good as this one.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Taigu said...

Thank you Michael, Nicole and Oxeye, you are wonderful invisible-virtual-real companions on the path to this life.

Be well, beloved ones.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home