Thursday, May 11, 2006

Life temple

Since I arrived in Japan, I am asked everyday: "Which temple do you belong to?" And I always answer:"life temple". Japanese people don't seem to understand what I mean, they politely smile. Here you have to belong. I don't want to belong anymore.

Cobalt and turquoise
Above
Iridescent waters

Birds thrown
On the stream
Bouncing like pebbles

Grey Heron
Guardian
Of dusk

Furtive taste of frothy
green
Tea

In the temple of things
Not a gate, not an altar
To be found

In the temple of things
We are nothing
But clouds


Cobalt et turquoise
A l’aplomb
de l’eau irisée

oiseaux lancés
en ricochet
sur l’onde

Héron cendré
Gardien
Du Soir

Goût du thé vert
Mousseux
Et furtif

Au temple des choses
Ni porte, ni autel

Au temple des choses
Nous ne sommes que nuages

2 Comments:

Blogger Johnny Newt said...

it soon became clear to me also that Japan is a society of groups, subgroups, cliques and classes, I like to think I've come to a point in which I understand this cultural mindset, but i must agree that I still feel no need to define myself in terms of "belonging" to this group or that. Sorry to inform you however, brother Pierre, but you do belong, to us all. One day we shall drink you in our tea, and eat you in our bowl. Perhaps one day a young monk will breath us both in or pluck us from a garden and remember only for a moment our footsteps upon these stones.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Taigu said...

Thank you Nina for your appreciation.

Johnny, yes brother, can't agree more, not to belong is precisely to belong to all. It is what you describe.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home